Monday, 25 May 2015

My MAC Make-Up Lesson and Tutorial


For my birthday I was super super lucky to be gifted with a MAC make-up session which involves a lesson and a tutorial. Of course from my blog we all know I love makeup (and one of my friends knows about my blog too) but there has always been question marks about what goes where or why something does this etc so this experience was going to be perfect for me. Obviously, I am a very socially awkward and shy person which meant that actually speaking to someone I don't know was going to be slightly dawnting for me but the lady we had was so so lovely and I had my friend with me so I was all good haha! The present involved an hour and a half session where at the end you can get £50 worth of products eeeeeeeeeek! My session was booked in Spitalfields which was such a calm, relaxed enviroment perfect to calm my anxious self haha. It was booked with a lovely lady named Dionne who was so understanding and really helpful answering all of my bizzare questions.

Firstly, Dionne asked what in particular I wanted help with so I went with defined eyebrows, a subtle neutral/nude smoky eye and contouring because they are all things which I am so clueless about. I told her how I am obsessed with a dewy healthy glow foundation but still having a good coverage. We spoke about what brushes I had and products at home so she could find product that I had at home so I can recreate parts of the look where I didn't have the MAC products myself, we all went through colours too that I liked and clearly I went with simple but stunning shades nothing too OTT! Then she said before we began that she would do half of the face and I would do the other, scary!! I think I did okay because when I asked my boyfriend afterwards he couldn't tell the differece... Then again he is such a boyish boy so of course he wouldn't haha! (Sorry I will ramble!) And this is the result...




Oh and this is something I must mention as people do wonder.. Yes you can go there with makeup on it is 100% fine! I went in with my eyebrows filled, concealer and mascara and Dionne happily gave me some cleansing products to use.  Firstly she gave me (well I think it is this...) Gently Off Eye And Lip Makeup Remover to take off my makeup, it is such an effortless remover to use and literally everything was off with about 2 small cotton wool pads, I was extremely impressed. Then she applied to half of my face the Lightful C Marine-Bright Formula Softening Lotion using a cotton wool pad in a dabbing motion, this is in order to brighten the skin and to reduce the redness from removing my makeup, I dabbed the other side of my face haha! On the skin this felt so refreshing and left my face feeling so so soft. I also dabbed some Lip Conditioner on my lips too which felt amazing! As soon as I saw Dionne bring out the Strobe Cream I could of sworn that I looked like that heart eyed emoji! I had heard so so much about this product and everyone adores it so I was so excited! It illuminated my skin so much and reminded me of the Seventeen 3 in 1 Highlighter, mmmm I'm in love!

I never do this in my makeup but we did the eyes first which now I think about it is such a smart idea due to fall out etc. Over the lid and eyebrows (sounds odd but it did help!) was the Prep + Prime 24-Hour Extend Eye Base which is great because unlike my other eye primers this one is clear which means it is going to interfere with the colours of the eyeshadows. The eyeshadows we used were from the eyeshadow quad called Showstopper which had some beautiful colours. It is such a pretty neutrals quad, unfortunately I didn't buy it as it was sold out but it looked so expensive I just couldn't (maybe next time) as I don't have a picture I will just have to try and explain it to you all haha! There are clearly 4 shades which are Oh My Darling (a frost cream), Jest (a frost pale pink/peach with shimmer), Mineralism: (lustre brown/sliver) and Showstopper (a matte dark brown which scared me very much!) Jest was applied all over the lid, Mineralism was the transitioning colour and Showstopper was put in the crease to create a smoky look. At first this was so scary to do but Dionne was so helpful and was really honest and gave great advice on what/how to do it. A tip that I had learnt is to place a mirror under you so you are looking down at yourself apply the eyeshadow so you can actually see what you are doing, for this a 217 brush. Next was eyeliner which was applied and this was called the Fluidline Eye Pencil in Earth Sign which was dotted instead of just drew along the bottom as well as the top of the eye and then used a 239 brush with the Showstopper shade to blend it out so it look a bit more edgy I guess you could say. They just blended so so well that it looked so seamless rather than me looking like I had been punched. I kept doubting myself the whole time on whether I was doing it right but Dionne reassured me what I was fine!

Eyebrows have always been a nemesis of mine I know they are sister not twins but it still does annoy me how unsimilar mine look, however Dionne was so helpful in giving me tips on how to do my eyebrows. I would usually go for a brow powder but instead we used a pencil to see what would happen as a pencil is supposed to be better for achieving that defined and shaped brow which I do agree with! The eyebrow pencil was in the shade Stylized which is a bit more of an ashy brown to match my eyebrows, it was so soft when applying (and putting the eye primer on them really made a difference) and Dionne gave me some tips on doing it more gradually and applying it slightly further away in order to build it up slowly and slowly shape them. I am quite lucky to have long eyelashes so mascara wasn't too hard to pick or use, it was the Studio Fix Boldblack Lash which made my lashes look so bold and voluminous, I loved it. I learnt a cool tip to apply your bottom lashes using the end of the brush and should of wiggling it which made them look incredible!

Next was the base which I was fearing the most as all day I had such dry skin so I was really hoping this could be sorted. On top of the Strobe Cream which we had allowed to set whilst doing the eyes, we placed some Matchmaster Concealer under the eyes in 01 I think it was as well as any other blemishes. This was a creamy stick which I have never ever used before but really liked it, it was thick but not so thick that it was sticky or stiff to move. It was instead creamy and blendable, covering all of my horrible spots using the 217 brush again! Next was foundation which I was keen to try as I have never ever tried a MAC foundation before. Dionne decided to use the Mineralize Moisture SPF15 Foundation which gave a really soft satin look but was so so dewy and shiny which I love. This was applied using a small buffing brush in a sort of 'punching' or stippling action around the face which made it look very natural. I then went over the face with more concealer because I am a concealer junkie hahhaha! On top of all of this to sort of set and fix the foundation was the Prep + Prime Skin Smoother and sponge which was amazing (and definitely will go buy!) it was so so soft and just completed the base perfectly.

For contour I didn't want to go OTT and rather just the cheekbones to be defined so we used the Matchmaster Concealer again but this time in 03 which was slightly darker than my skin tone, this was applied to the cheekbones and just buffed out, it really gave my face some dimension and shape. For blusher we used the shade Jest with a stippling 134 brush which looked so natural and gave me an instant flush of colour.

For a neural lip we went with Hue and just dabbed it onto the lips as I felt as if my eyes should be the star of the show hahaha! But it looked so pretty and cute. And that's the look!

I really enjoyed the experience so much and couldn't fault Dionne at all. She was so attentive and I felt as if I had her undivided attention the whole time. Not only was she lovely to me but also my friend too who I hoped enjoyed it also as she had to sit there for an hour and a half! She made sure I was comfortable with the look but also made me try something new like not going for a full coverage but instead medium coverage foundation which is a hard thing for me to do haha! She taught me so many new techniques and tips and small things I can do just to make my makeup look that little bit better as well as made sure I understood each step and what the purpose of each product was which I found interesting.

In the end I bought the 03 concealer, the studio fix mascara, the eyebrow pencil and the eyeliner. As you get £50 off I only had to pay £10.50 which I think is such a bargain! I will be going back and buying the rest but gradually and when I have used some of my other products.




I just really enjoyed it and was so happy to have it as a present, I am lucky to have such great friends. I would really recommend you try this!

Taylor x
SHARE:

40 comments

  1. Replies
    1. I know so happy to be introduced to them :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great experience and the best part of it all is that you had the chance to really learn sth.
    Your make up looks fantastic...and the products were a bargain....
    Such a lovely product!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great experience! Would love to try it one day. Fab products too, I love their brow pencils and Studio Fix mascaras :) x

    Everything But The Kitchen Sink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would really recommend it :) And yes they are so so fab haha x

      Delete
  4. I'd never heard of this MAC experience before but it looks amazing! The results look gorgeous btw :)

    Michaela-Leigh xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohh that´s so cool! glad to hear that you had such a good experience at mac! im slightly scared of them after someone in the chelsea store ruined my friends make up haha

    dresses-and-travels //@susandollparts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, no I really liked it! Guess that's the risk you have to take but oh dear xx

      Delete
  6. This looks like such a great experience, I'd love to do this someday! Xx

    Magenta Tulip

    ReplyDelete
  7. vERY COOL :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have one of these sessions. I used to work in makeup myself but it would be great to just sit down and let others do the talking and pampering :) You look lovely. xx

    Jessie | allthingsbeautiful-x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I love MAC! Follow you!

    www.mvesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. you look amazing! the make up is so fresh and beautiful~ MAC have great products!

    http://rosdays.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow ,that´s amazing! Lucky Girl <3

    kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know Mac offers these, that is such a great gift idea! You look amazing, and got some nice products too!

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither but I was so impressed with it x

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a great learning opportunity!

    Pop on over | Rachael Styles Me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh, this sounds like such a cool experience! I'm always so freaked out when going into a MAC store, I get a little anxious whenever I look around. I think that's why I don't actually have an MAC products! Hahaha

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow ! what a great birthday gift ! you look fab :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a fantastic birthday present! :) Hope you had a great birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an informative post, and your make-up looks lovely at the end! Happy belated birthday :)

    Faye x
    i wish i could wink

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like the perfect gift for anyone who loves makeup! Do you mind me asking how much this cost, I'd love to give it as a gift? Your finished look is gorgeous and really suits you (:

    Blushhx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I got it as a present so I am unsure, think it was 50 pounds may have to ask a friend!

      Delete
  19. Oh wow it sounds as if you had a wonderful time! I'm quite an anxious person too, so it's nice to know that you felt more comfortable with the girl on the counter. I'd love to have an experience like this.

    Emily // Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting, I really appreciate and will reply straight away. I hope you enjoy my blog and I love to hear more from you!

© What Taylor Buys || A beauty, fashion and lifestyle blog. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig